Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Camping in Newport Beach

I have come to the realization that I have a love/hate relationship with camping. I love seeing the sights, taking pictures, playing card games around the campfire, s'mores; I dislike the bathroom/shower situation and feeling dirty. Some campsites have nice bathrooms and showers (Newport Dunes had decent ones, but even with nicer ones, I still have a hard time showering in community showers.) and others might not have either. Some places have showers and charge you a load of quarters for a 1 minute shower, so really, I was thankful that Newport Dunes had decent bathrooms with showers and we didn't even have to pay for the showers. I have some friends who just LOVE camping--and tent camping at that-- and will camp under any circumstances, even if there are no bathrooms or showers. I am not one of those people. When I get invited by friends to go camping, if there are showers, I will usually agree to go because I love spending time with my friends.
When my friends Kevin and Tara invited me to go camping with them in Newport Beach last week, I was totally excited. Not only is Newport Beach beautiful, but the campsite had bathrooms, showers, a pool, game room, and lots of other perks. Kevin and Tara also have a tent trailer and that sealed the deal. They also had tickets to an Angels game that we attended while down there. (I had never been to Angel Stadium and I was quite impressed--it is much nicer than Dodger Stadium.) We had so much fun interacting with Ella (Kevin and Tara's beautiful little girl), relaxing, reading, seeing the sights on Balboa Island, swimming, playing card games at night, and yes, there were even s'mores! On Wednesday night, Kevin's sister came out to visit and beat us all at cards. She had not seen Ella for a long time, and it was fun to catch that reunion on film.I was so thankful they invited me. We had a great time and it was another nice break from the desert. I don't have much time before school starts, so I am trying to live it up and enjoy this time as much as I can! Hope you are all enjoying your summer too.