It might be because I used to be a swimmer, but any time the Summer Olympics take place, I am glued to the screen during the swimming races. I love the gymnastics as well, but (and I think this year especially) nothing gets my heart pumping quite like those swimming races. This year, there's this 23-year-old "superman" of sorts, Michael Phelps, who is pursuing a mind-blowing eight gold medals. As I am writing this, he has earned six of those eight and I am eager with anticipation because he goes for number seven in about an hour and a half west-coast time. If you have not heard of Michael Phelps, you must have been living under a rock or have no access to a computer or television. Since I was not alive when Mark Spitz earned his seven gold medals, even though I have heard about it, it's Michael Phelps who is making an impression on me right now. With all of the pressure of what he is trying to accomplish in Beijing, I don't know how he holds it together. I even saw an interview with Mark Spitz and he said that when he swam, nobody was really paying attention to him until gold medal number five...then suddenly the media decided to start covering what was going on at the swimming pool; not the case for Phelps. He has had a camera following every move since even before Beijing. He emerged in Athens and has, since then, been focused on the Beijing Olympics with his sights set on breaking Spitz's record. I am filled with admiration because he is amazing...and because I know, in a very small way, about all those nerves leading up to a swimming race and standing on the racing block waiting to hear the start signal. I still get butterflies every time I think about it and my admiration for Phelps and all those swimmers is growing daily...mostly because I know they have those same butterfllies and nerves, but have figured out a way to use them to their advantage. I am in awe of the talented Phelps and cannot wait to see him attempt to break even more records.
And did you see the mens 4x100 relay? I think those moments watching that race might be the most exciting moments of my life in recent months. I couldn't even sit down. I might have even shed a tear at the end and during the medal ceremony. To see those four men work together to make that gold medal a reality was phenomenal...but the most phenomenal part of the race for me was Jason Lezak's come-from-behind sprint to bring home the gold. Considering the French and their promise to "smash" the Americans, seeing the French get beat made the win even more satisfying. I think Michael Phelps, if he does end up bringing home eight gold medals, will need to give a huge thank you to all of his teammates in the relays...because three of those gold will be from relay races. Swimming in Michael Phelps's shadow is probably somewhat difficult, but I, for one, have loved watching the incredible talent of all the United States' swimmers as well as talented swimmers from other countries.Don't even get me started on the incredible performances by the US women gymnasts in the all-around last night! GO USA!
1 comment:
WOOHOO Phelps Phan!!! He is a hottie =) but I am just being patriotic!
Post a Comment